We have put safety procedures in place to keep our students and staff healthy.
- Masks: Masks must be worn at all times by all adults (teachers, staff, and visitors) and by students in grade 2 and up while in the building. If your child is unable to wear a mask for medical reasons, they must have an excuse signed by a doctor on file in the office.
- Hand washing: Students and staff are expected to wash hands thoroughly before and after eating, after using the bathroom, if exposed to body fluids (like saliva or a sneeze), and at other times necessary throughout the day.
- Drop-off and pickup procedures: Please maintain social distancing between families during drop-off and pickup. Parents are not allowed to enter the building with their child unless arrangements have been made in advance with the office. Please move through the drop-off and pickup line as quickly as possible to make room for families behind you.
- Visiting our school: We are limiting visitors to the school during this time. Parent and community volunteer and in-person tutoring have been suspended until further notice. Most parent-teacher conferences and other meetings can be held virtually. All visits must be pre-approved and scheduled with the office.
- While in the building: When you enter the building, please check in at the front desk. During check-in, you will be given a name tag and reminded to wear your mask at all times.
- Traffic flow in hallways and common areas: Hallways are marked with arrows. Please keep at least 3 ft. distance between yourself and others.
- Illness: Students and staff exhibiting signs of illness or having a fever of greater than 99.9°F must stay home. If you or someone you know has COVID-19 (or shows symptoms of COVID-19 such as coughing or fever), it is required that you stay home or at a designated care facility for a minimum of 14 days. Please contact us via phone or email as soon as possible.
- Directions for local COVID testing: Please visit the NYS Coronavirus Find a Test Site page to find a test site closest to you.
- Changes in class sizes: We've reduced the average class size from 31 to 10 - 18 for in-person instruction.
- Improvements in ventilation: In an effort to maximize air circulation, we are opening windows whenever possible ......
- Increases in cleaning frequency: Our custodial team is committed to cleaning all classrooms .....
- Hand sanitation: All bathrooms have been stocked with extra soap for frequent hand washing...
Back to School Pledge
On August 25, 2020, the Mayor and Chancellor announced a Back to School Pledge to every family, student and staff in a New York Public School. Translated versions can be found on the Back to School Pledge site.
Below is a summary of the pledge:
Health and Safety Always Come First
· Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and cleaning supplies will be supplied to all schools, and the New York City Department of Education (DOE) will have a 30-day supply on hand at all times – with a hotline for principals to call for immediate resupply for their schools
· There will be a full-time nurse in every public school building
· Any school building or room found to have inadequate ventilation will not be used by students or staff
· Students and staff will practice physical distancing in all school buildings
· Students will remain in pods for as much of the day as possible
· Students and staff will wear face coverings throughout the school day; if they do not have them, they will be provided for free
· We will place hand sanitizer in every classroom
· City-run testing sites will prioritize free COVID testing and expedited results for school staff; free testing is also available to all students, families, and New Yorkers citywide
· We are encouraging all DOE employees to be tested monthly
· NYC Department of Health and Test + Trace Corps will immediately investigate confirmed cases to prevent spread of the virus
· Schools will communicate with all students and families when there are confirmed cases in schools
· When necessary, classrooms or school buildings will temporarily close to maintain safety of school communities and prevent spread of the virus
· School buildings will close if the percentage of positive COVID-19 tests in New York City is 3% or more using a 7-day average—the most aggressive threshold in the nation
NYC Public Schools Will be Cleaned and Disinfected, Day and Night
· All school buildings will be disinfected overnight, every night
· High-touch zones will be cleaned multiple times throughout each day
· Electrostatic disinfectors will clean surfaces daily with zero physical contact
Students Will be Learning Five Days a Week, No Matter What
· Whether in-person or online, students will study in supportive environments with rigorous academic standards
· Remote students will interact with their teachers every day
· Student schedules – both remote and in-person – will be preset and consistent to allow families to plan
· Academic instruction will integrate social-emotional learning and trauma-informed care to support students holistically
· Teachers will have time each day to engage one-on-one with students and families